Royal Groupies - 1961
A virtual space for the Royal College 1961 group to vent, rant and rave...and of course communicate. (if you need help in Blogging, go to Basic Blogging given in the link below)
A virtual space for the Royal College 1961 group to vent, rant and rave...and of course communicate. (if you need help in Blogging, go to Basic Blogging given in the link below)
8 Comments:
20 June 2006
Jaldeen you bugger, where the hell have you been! You haven't changed much, still look 10 years younger than the rest of us, like Wahid. And still the very short crew-cut. I guess all of us will have to live and die without ever seeing you with long hair! At least, that haircut suited you well for the Air Force.
Like you,I also work in the hotel business and have one son. I think we should have had at least 3 kids each. Do you think it's too late now, hmmm..?
Remember our French cricket matches? Remember your 'Jetliners' band with Zarook et al at the back of the class? You used boxes of mathematical instruments to make the music in your band!
Remember in Form 2 we were playing hide and seek and went over to the racecourse to play. When we checked the time it was 30 minutes past our lunch break! We rushed back to class and had to get a late chit from the headmaster. Old Cowpox wasn't impressed with our excuse. He pulled out his cane and gave us two cuts each for being late.
You are easily the most unforgettable character in our class. You kept us entertained with antics such as taunting Ruperty behind his back etc., well described by Peiter in one of his e-mails.
Of course, we had our fun with you too. My favourite moment was in form 5, when Chaman crept up behind you and shoved an empty wastepaper basket over your head, right down to your shoulders. You did not seem to appreciate Chaman's choice of headgear for you, because you wrenched off the wastepaper basket and hurled it at Chaman, which made it even more funny. Chaman danced away laughing while the class laughed and applauded, and I was left wishing I had a camera to capture this priceless moment. You did not think it was funny then, but I hope you see the humour in it now. You did look beautiful with a wastepaper basket over your head.
When I think of these things I still start laughing. I have to be careful not to think of these incidents in public. If people see me laughing to myself they will think I'm crazy. But if they ask me, I will say, "It's just Jaldeen!", and let them figure it out for themselves!
I will probably be laughing on my deathbed thinking about you, buddy. Without you, our class would have been much duller. You brightened our lives, and I am getting tears in my eyes thinking about you. There is only one word that can make everyone in our class smile or laugh, and that word is 'Jaldeen'! And that's the truth!
Your description of your experiences during the invasion of Kuwait was great. We want to hear more about your adventures in the middle east, air force, hotel business etc., so keep writing.
Today happens to be your birthday, so I will wish you a great birthday, and many, many happy returns. Ayubowan - may you live long.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!!
Eric
20 June 2006
Roger the Vice-Principal,
You look 100 percent Aussie, zero percent Burgher. Living 40 years in Oz will do that to you. Hopefully when you retire you will be free to communicate more. Best wishes,
Eric
Dear Jaldeen, It's not surprising to know you won the Sri Lanka armed services medal for gallantry while serving as a leading aircraftsman in the Royal Ceylon Air Force.
You were the first guy at age-11 who had the guts and gallantry in early Jan-1961 in Form-1 at RC, after you were appointed as class monitor by Ruperty, to stand up on the form and honk him from behind - amazing all of us guys - while he was turned towards the blackboard!
Your daring act was - according to the strict standards of that time - quite a high-degree risk factor which, had you got caught, would probably have cost you a couple of thundering slaps on the cheeks, a severe caning on your buttocks and perhaps even sent to the headmaster for further 'torture.'
Thanx dear Jala for all those thrilling times you made us laugh to bits in class! God bless you.
Luv
Sam
Dear Jaldeen
As Eric has said, you gave us many many unforgettable and happy moments in the 1960s. My most abiding memory is of you in the first row, sheilding yourself from Canto's shower of spittle . Makes me smile even now.
As Eric has also mentioned I would very much like to hear in more detail of your experiences during the Kuwait invasion. I know of at least a couple of people who had harrowing experiences and I am sure yours must have been equally so. So, please tell us. And your experiences in the Air Force.
Roger, you look the archtypical schoolmaster. How many schools are you in charge of?
Its an amazing feeling to be able to see the transformation that has taken place in all us after more than a third of a century. What a pity we do not have photographs of how we were then (except for Bala and Tariq). And again, all credit to Sam.
Jawahar
Jawahar's comments raises another interesting possibility. Should we now request those who possess photos of themselves taken in the mid-1960s to post such items on the Blog ?
Go for it Delano..show us the nicer version of yourself when you were 15/20..we will then follow..Regards Rifky
PS - guess Sam cannot take the soccer coach position as he will probably have to email, cajole, sms, persuade,call, plead with all to get this task accomlpished.
Rifky
28 June, 2006
Really, Rifky & Delano,
Every one of us guys has that clear picture of how each guy looked in the 1950s/1960s etched in our memory palaces. That memory chip is indelible.
Absolutely important was how - after almost 40-years - we look now! And that we've achieved 35 out of 36 with Hamish Graeme Woutersz still lagging behind and yet to come in as the last man in.
Luv
Sam
14 July 2006
Jaldeen! We want to hear from you. As we used to say in College, "don't wait for compliments!"
But I will give you one anyway. I think you look very smart in your photo,like an Air Force officer. I am sure your family must be proud of you. I think the air force was a very good career choice for you, for the discipline, leadership skills and adventure. I am happy you have done well for yourself, perhaps better than some expected.
Now, let's hear from you.
Best wishes,
Eric
Post a Comment
<< Home