Royal Groupies - 1961

A virtual space for the Royal College 1961 group to vent, rant and rave...and of course communicate. (if you need help in Blogging, go to Basic Blogging given in the link below)

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Royal Thomian - Memories

Royal Thomian 2006....We have come a long way from the last Royal Thomian match we went to, whilst still being in College.

I think it was 1968. The Truck was organized. A trip to Kandana about 2 weeks before the match to book the St.John’s Papare band. (St.John’s Papare band is a part of St.John’s Funeral Undertakers. They are good at playing ‘Sad’ beats at funerals as well as Hi Tempo stuff with all the Godly Kunuharapas played only for the Devils.) Fancy dresses all arranged. I stole my grandpa’s wedding tail jacket. Chaman’s beetroot wine well matured in the Chemistry lab closely guarded by Lab-boy. All girlfriends in various schools informed of our Truck Parade’s ETA. Hat collections done and enough cash to go through 2 days of double distilled fun.

Before day one of the match was the traditional Cycle Parade. All assembled at Reid Avenue late evening in their bicycles and candle lanterns. A Truck at the front with a Papare Band in attendance. At least 250 cycles with lantern burning in an orderly arrangement was an extraordinary sight. The atmosphere was electric. Here we go, first with a thundering hoot...’ADDOOOOO BELLLAAAAA’. This I believe was the traditional expression of gratitude to the grand old man who had the Hostel as his life time abode. On we went on the city tour with the band drumming up ‘AYAMMAGE DOUBLE THANAI, AYAMMAGE DOUBLE THANAI, AYAMMAGE DOUBLE THANAI MIRIKUWAMA RUBBERR WAGAI......, singing the College song and screaming THORA PARIPPU !!! This was an event much awaited by the residents of Colombo city. The streets were lined with many well wishers, old, young and the mostly the pretty ones to join in the fun and cheer us through. Meanwhile, a couple of ‘bottles’ were passed down the procession like a baton being passed down a relay team.
The procession was suppose to end up at Reid Avenue, but some dropped off at Saraswathie for a quick Thosai and Masala Wadai. Most of the food served was complementary, as it was not paid for. Had to wind up early that night because we had a long day awaiting us.

Hardly slept that night. Had to get up at 4 am, get my old Land Rover started and rush to Kandana to pick up the St.John’s Papare Band. I can’t remember who came with me, but Izza was there for sure. On the way we had to collect a few bottles of Dankotuwa Hooch to fuel the band boys. Rushed back to college where the Truck was ready for embarkment. Boys gave us a warm welcome with a sip off the bottle. Chaman’s wine was opened and passed around which vanished faster that it appeared. Having no effect from the wine, my good pal Izza and I decided to borrow a cycle and ‘double’ to Colpetty Tavern via 5th Lane. That was the time when the Distilleries Corp put out the famous 2/= Buddy arrack. Bought 2 and gulped it down neat, bottoms up, burning down the bloody gut. Back onto the cycle, doubled back, this time Izza on the seat and me on the bar. Coming down 5th Lane was bloody breezy and gave us that extra punch. Came out of 5th lane like a bullet and onto the Pemba roundabout, Izza pissed out and fell in the middle of the bloody road trying to negotiate the bend. Izza, self and the cycle...all flat out. We were ‘helped’ up and hoisted into the truck.

I remember there being at least 50 trucks, all lined up one behind the other, starting from Pemba roundabout and ending at the basket ball court end. There were about 3 Papare Bands, but our’s took center stage. All set, a cracker was lit; one, two, three .....’ADDOOOO BELLLAAAAAA’.
It was so loud and thunderous, I am sure it would have been heard down Galle road. (Another tradition tribute to our grand old man. I remember Bella acknowledging the hoot when he came to the first class after the match. I think he said ‘THANK YOU GENTLEMEN FOR THE WARM GREETINGS’ Correct me if this is wrong).

Off we went with the band drumming up HARRIMA LEDAK NEDA MACHAN HARIMA LEDAK NE......on our way past Ladies College, Bishops, Methodists, Holy Family, St.Pauls, Visaka and St.Bridetes. The girls came screaming out, defying the schools prefects, teachers and Sisters to give us a cheer. In some schools we saw very supportive teachers looking on while the girls came out to cheer us. This was done in great spirit, tradition and fun. I also remember Chaman exposing his bottom to the crown and receiving a henna hoot. Meanwhile, a couple of more ‘bottles’ went around. My eyes sight and hearing began to diminish due the excessive hooch in my system. There after, I really did not know what happened the rest of the day, till someone splashed a bucket of water on my face while I was cooling off beside the water tank, with good old Kadale having an eye over me. Day one was over. I think we went to the Light House to cool off and crept into home later in the day, after the home folks had retired.

Day 2 began the same way, but ended worse than day one. Didn’t miss the traditional visit to GREENLANDS for a quick shot from the bar and a hot thosai. This is from where Izza, Rafil and Jaldin collected their ever silver stainless steel cups. I am sure they still use it at home. Again, most of the food was complimentary because they were not paid for. Later, GREENLANDS gave us plastic cups instead of the regular stainless steel as most of the stainless steel cups went missing after the previous day’s visit. Another quicky from Ritz hotel, Borella, on our way to the Oval. We were virtually on our fours when we got to the Oval. Kadale was at the entrance making sure that we got in without any harassment from the ticket checkers.

This was one the worst days in my life in College. Something happened during the lunch interval when someone hit my good pal Fi. Thereafter, we went looking for the guy and ended up hammering about a dozen guys. Are you there Fi.....Machan, who hit you.....can you show me the fellow..... Each time Fi suspects someone, he would point him out and this poor bugger gets hammered. I remember hitting a fellow so hard that he got airborne and ended up on the barbed wire fens. Another fellow tapped me on the shoulder to ask me for a ‘light’. I turned around and hit the bugger so hard, he fell flat on the ground. I was like King Kong marauding the grounds and getting rid of anyone who looked suspicious. All this because of Fi. Fortunate to have the fullest backing of the clan who had circled me and protected me from any harm. Sam...thanks...the look on your face made anyone who had ideas to flee the scene. Fi was so pissed out, he seemed to enjoy the episode at my cost. I don’t know how it ended, but found myself at home when I woke the next afternoon. I faintly remember a trip to Light House as well.

More episodes and additions would be appreciated. As for me, I was very little in this world during the 2 days of the most important event in the Calender of Royal College.

Love you guys.....Moin

Posted on behalf of the still inebriated but lovable Moin A.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jawahar said...

Moin
Thanks for taking me back on a nostalgic journey. Old crocks were part of my life too though I never got onto one. It was an inseparable part of the Royal-Thomian experience. Thanks, pal, and keep these memories flowing. You have a gift for writing.
Jawahar

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home